Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Little Monkey Business

Halloween Rocks! Can I just get that one thing off of my chest? Halloween is the best American idea since air conditioning. Every holiday should be like Halloween. They should cancel all other holidays and weekends and make them all like Halloween! I don't know if you can tell... but I really liked Halloween. What's not to like? You get dressed up in a costume and then you go outside your house when it gets dark and then people give you candy.

Brilliant.

Out of all the new American traditions and customs that I've learned over the last 4 months... This Trick-or-Treat business is, by far, the best. It's fool-proof and a win-win situation for everybody involved. The kids get candy... the adults get yet another excuse to get together... and the people at home handing out the candy get a free costume show. It's Genius!

The evening began when Daddy and I visited Mommy on Halloween Sunday as she was finishing taping her TV show. I helped her finish up a couple of budget spread sheets and then organized her rehearsal schedules for the following week and then we called it a day.... okay, truth be told, she was the one that did all of those things while I ate Cheerios from her lap and blew cute little monkey farts on her for a little over an hour. What can I say? I'm a gassy monkey.

Tio Yared was there in his costume and a lot of people from the production team were wearing funny costumes too. I saw a guy dressed like Elvis, and another lady was dressed like Charlie Chaplin... I even saw a black Harry Potter guy. There were a couple of costumes in the studio audience too. I saw witches, goblins and cowboys.

I noticed a different feeling in the air that day. People were in a little better mood and everyone was happier as they laughed and joked with each other about their costumes. Mommy calls it Holiday Cheer. She says that people behave differently on holidays because holidays are special days that focus on the family. Maybe that's why I felt so good that whole day... Because I finally have a family.

So what's a monkey to do? I needed a little something more for my costume to feel truly real. But what? I was doing my part. Cute... adorable... calm. But I just felt like I needed something extra to make it perfect. I looked like a monkey but I didn't feel like a monkey. I needed ambience... I needed a set designer.

Daddy is not much into dressing up in costumes. He thinks it's silly. Mommy doesn't agree. Mommy loves to dress up and be silly and she thinks that there is nothing to be embarrassed about. Daddy says that the reason he wouldn't dress up in a silly costume is because he's 10 years older than Mommy and with age comes self-awareness. Mommy said that the reason he wouldn't dress up in a silly costume was because he was a wus.

I had to take over the situation. If Daddy felt embarrased by dressing up then we had to find a costume that would cover his face. But what kind of costume covers your face and also complements a monkey outfit?...
Have you hugged a tree today?

I don't know if all monkeys live like this... but this is a cush life.

Daddy says that Tio Angel looked like Captain Kirk... if he were a hair dresser.

Isabella was dresed up as a 60's chick. Daddy said that she looked just like Goldie Hawn when she was on a show called Laugh In. Nobody knew what he was talking about... again.

Mommy took over in the tree outfit after Daddy was chopped down by Miguel Angel.

I got through my first American holiday with smashing success. Now let's see what this Thanksgiving thing is all about. Do I get to dress up like a turkey?

I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment